For sew amazing projects, news, tips and sew much more!

For sew amazing projects, tips, gossip and much much more!
Ruby Summer........Vintage Inspiration

Sunday 13 November 2011

Thrifty Christmas Spesh!!!!!

They say every cloud has a silver lining and I think that this Christmas despite the recession we can manage to give some amazing gifts to our loved ones.If nothing else this recession has seen a wonderful re-emergence of the "make do and mend" culture that our parents and grandparents would have had no choice but to embrace.

I have just been through my immense fabric stash and gathered enough pieces of scraps to make a santa's stocking garland to dress the mantle piece and the quilt I am making for my mama is coming on great guns. It's so nice not to dash to the shops in all the crowds to buy mass produced pressies people may not be that keen on!

We all have a talent. We might be brilliant bakers, sexy sewers, nutty knitters, the list goes on!!!!!!! have a think over a glass of holy water about all the gifts you could hand craft this year.

I know some peeps want to make gorj gifts but don't know where to start. I might have the answer! I have been looking for no sew projects that would make great gifts. This week I have found "NO SEW FLEECE SCARVES". I've got a really good feeling that these will get a lot of use during the winter!

This project is sew easy it doesn't even need a photo!

You will need:

10 " (25cms) x 60" (150cms) of fleece fabric (not fun fur!)
A pair of good sharp fabric scissors
A cup of hot chocolate spiced with a liquer if you want!!!(Baileys goes well with hot chocolate so I have heard!)

Instructions:

At each end of the length (ie your shortest sides) cut into the fabric to create a fringe. I would suggest about 10 cms in and 2 cms apart. Do both ends and VOILA one Christmas gift ready!If you want to, have a practice on a piece of scrap fabric or calico so you cans ee what spacings you want.

If you are feeling scissor happy how about creating a 5cm fringe alongside the widest sides for a difference! You could even knot random ones to make it fab and funky!

Wrap in tissue paper and you have a fab looking gift that will be loved because you made it.

If you are making lots of these it might be worth getting some little fabric labels printed - you know "hand crafted by Deborah x" (unless of course your name is Shirley then for gawds sake don't get "deborah printed on it!)

I would love to see your finished creations soplease do email me with your photos and they will be publishe din the Ruby Summer sew Amazing blog.

Have a brilliant week and stay safe my sew amazing friends xxxxxxxxx







1 comment:

  1. Safe???!!!! you are asking me to play with sharp scissors and then you tell me to stay safe!!! lol
    mmmm The scarf is a scrumptious idea for my mums arthritic neck, I think a few of these will be very much appreciated to keep her neck nice and snug xxxx

    ReplyDelete