For sew amazing projects, news, tips and sew much more!

For sew amazing projects, tips, gossip and much much more!
Ruby Summer........Vintage Inspiration

Friday 3 August 2012

BLOG CANDY to help you build your perfect sewing kit with love form Ruby Summerxxxx

We have got blog candy this week!!!!

Well hello again Rubynistas!

How are you getting along with the Olympics? Are you watching like crazy or hiding in your sewing space? I am doing both! I reckon I could get Team GB a gold medal for enthusiasm when it comes to sewing!
Last week we talked about getting the right thread for your project. This week we are looking at how to put a basic sewing kit together. It is easy to get carried away and buy everything you clap your beady eyes on but to be honest it’s a waste of money because wasted money = smaller fabric stash!!! There are so many twee little bits out there but the serious Rubynista needs a proper kit!!!
 So here goes!
First is what I think are the absolute essentials;

Tool
For?
Scissors
Big – main fabric cutting
Pinking – if you are unable to overlock seams
Snips – for fiddly cutting – a life saver!
Tape measure
Do I need to explain why?!
Tailors chalk
Marking fabric, for example, seam matching or dart placing
Seam ripper - CHECK OUT THE BLOG CANDY THIS WEEK!
Well, we all make mistakes!!!
Spare needles
For your machine and a handy pack for hand sewing
Pins with glass heads
Holding fabric for sewing. Get pins with glass heads so you can actually see them in your fabric and avoid unnecessary swearing when you stab yourself or break a needle!
Safety pins
Always useful when your hem falls down at the wrong moment! And of course holding heavier projects and quilts together
Iron
Essential. I know “iron” is a four letter word but humour me. You cannot create professional finishes without an iron – simples!
Ironing Board
Doesn’t need to be flash! In fact I am making my own this week. Will take tons of piccies so I can do you a tutorial.


Notes: Buy the best scissors you can afford. Really good scissors last for life just like a damned good sauce pan (unless you bat someone over the head with it)

a scissor selection

This next list is sewingy stuff I have and can’t live without….. but it depends on whether you are planning to quilt too……..

Tool
For
Rotary Cutters
The incredibly easy way to cut fabric!
I have a range of sizes depending on what I need to cut and how many layers of fabric I am cutting through
Cutting Mats
Mine is huge – and I looooove it. I cut a lot of big pieces of fabric so its fab – you don’t need to go so mad!
Quilters Foot
On a spring and perfect when I  am quilting as it raises over the fabric and prevents puckering
Pin Cushion
Saves your pins rolling on the floor, being stood on by the cat and getting a huge vets bill.
Cutting Rulers
Robust rules to cut with and soooooo much more …..But let’s save that for another day.
Daylight Lamp
As a migraine sufferer I find this essential, and of course come winter its great for treating S.A.D.!

ooooh what a lovley gratuitous picture of sewing things!



Ok, so the lists aren’t exhaustive and I am bound to have left something out! If I have let me know what you must have in your basic sewing kit.
Don’t forget to collect buttons, buckles, fastenings, tons of fabric, empty clean takeaway containers (free storage) and glass jars (even better storage) and always buy the best quality (not necessarily the most money) whenever you can.
To keep the cash flowing only buy thread when you need it unless of course you see an absolute bargain!
Well my darlings, that’s it for this week. I hope it has been a useful read. Do keep in touch, I looooove getting your emails and photos.

A little blog candy to get your kits started!

seam ripper - will yours be blue?
If you’ve got any pics of your sewing kits send them to me so they go up in the blog and inspire others! Whilst your at it what is your can't live without item in the kit? I will email you back if you are a winner so that we can arrange to send your candy to you!
Send pics and words to contact@rubysummer.co.uk. The first five to arrive will be sent a free seam ripper to add to their kits.
J xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ps. this week I have been mainly buying scrummy shiny pvc!

7 comments:

  1. Oh I commented on FB lol
    My list is much the same as yours but havent sewn for years now ....
    My sister in law does marvelous quilting art work might talk her into teaching me one day x
    Good luck to those entering the blog candy those stitch pickers are a must :0))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uuuummm what about a seam allowance measurer??????

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet you would still throw it on the floor and do your engineering thing of eyeballing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete